Just like siding and windows, doors play a huge role in enhancing and maintaining your home’s curb appeal and energy efficiency. This spring, you might want to take a good look at the doors in your home to see if they need to be replaced. In this post, we’ll be walking you through the signs of door damage and what benefits you can get from door replacement.
Signs of Door Damage
- Drafts. When the seals around a door age, they tend to shrink and crack, letting in drafts.
- Squeaky Hinges. If oiling no longer makes the noises go away, chances are your door’s hinges have long served their purpose and are due for a replacement.
- Visible Cracks. Physical damage means your door’s structural integrity has been compromised. Not to mention that cracks can let anything from drafts to bugs, with the latter exacerbating damage. A cracked door may also be a safety hazard depending on the severity of the damage.
- Scrapes on the Floor. Old doors can warp and sag. If your door scrapes the floor whenever you use it, it is no longer aligned with its frame and needs to be checked.
Benefits of a Door Replacement
Still can’t decide whether you replace your door or not? Maybe learning about the benefits you’ll be enjoying with a better door can help you make a decision. So what can you expect from a door replacement?
- Enhanced Curb Appeal. Your old door probably looks, well, old. Faded and peeling paint, obvious cracks, and an overall dilapidated appearance can ruin not just your door’s look but your entire home’s, too. Getting a better door is a small upgrade but it can give your home a significant boost in the aesthetic appeal department.
- Increased Energy Efficiency. Newer doors are equipped with advanced insulation features that allow them to keep indoor heat in and outdoor heat out to help keep you warm in winter and cool during summer. Interested in a door window? Choose energy-efficient glass to bump up your home’s overall insulation further.
- Improved Property Value. Even when you’re not looking to sell, improving your home’s value is always a good thing. By boosting both your home’s form and function, getting a better door helps you achieve just that.
Besides the usual spring cleaning, the season makes for a great time to pursue home improvement plans. For full, certified, guaranteed service, trust only a professional for all your home improvement needs.